What do you do when JAWS® is chattering while you are using the remote base client to change frequencies?
We do have an answer from our good friend Joe, N3AIN. Joe is an active participant in the Handiham TechNet and on the most recent TechNet he suggested a workaround for folks using JAWS 13. We can also confirm that Joe’s workaround will work with JAWS 14. Want to quiet JAWS while changing frequencies while connected? Use the following steps to accomplish the task.
1. Connect to the remote base
2. When connected, press the JAWSKey+SPACEBAR. NOTE: the JAWSKey is the INSERT key on Desktop computers and Caps lock on laptop computers.
3. You will hear a sound indicating that JAWS is ready to take a command.
4. Press the letter S for speech Off
5. JAWS will announce Speech Off and will stop announcing everything on screen.
6. Don’t forget to reset the speech back to Speech on by following steps 1 through 5.
Of course, if you have any questions, feel free to contact us. 73, KK4JZX
JAWS is a registered trademark of Freedom Scientific.
Learn more about screenreader JAWS here.